The Mountain View Grand Resort and Spa began as a small country house in 1865. Owned by William and Mary Dodge, the small house provided comfort to weary travelers while offering a view of the nearby Presidential Mountain Range. Over the next 140 years, the small house underwent a series of additions and expansions that turned it into a world-class spa and resort that could house more than 100 guests and boasted a nine-hole golf course. The hotel remained in the Dodge family until 1979, when it was sold to new owners. By 1986, the hotel had gone into foreclosure.
In 1998, Kevin Craffey, a local businessman, bought the property. Craffey oversaw a series of restorations that included a heated pool, tennis courts, a clubhouse, and an expansion of the golf grounds. After a resurgence of success, the Mountain View Grand saw its greatest year of renovation in 2001, when $20 million was spent on interior and landscaping overhaul. Kevin Craffey added the building to the National Register of Historic Places in 2004 and continues to offer guests a serene escape in the New Hampshire countryside.